Protect your Patterson home from water damage while you are on summer vacation.
If you come home from vacation to water damage from a supply line leak, call SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090
Summer is here and many Hudson Valley families will be going on vacation soon. Take the following steps to make sure that your return home doesn't result in a call to us!
Make arrangements for someone to watch your house
- Ask a neighbor or friend to be an emergency contact.
- Leave written directions for alarm codes and any other information needed to care for your home care for your home.
- To protect from intruders, a timer can be set on the lights to give the impression that someone is home. Either putting your mail on hold or having someone collect it also helps.
- Do a walk through your house to make sure all windows are securely closed and locked.
Protect against water and fire damage
- Shut off your gas on appliances and the supply tank
- Turn off the water valves to toilets, washing machines, sinks, and the dishwasher.
- Unplug electronics to avoid a short that can start a fire
- Test your smoke detectors
- Keep your thermostat at a moderate temperature
Clean up before you leave
- Dispose of your garbage prior to leaving on vacation. It can attract pests and create a foul odor in your home.
- Clean out your refrigerator of perishables
- Double check that all toilets are properly flushed.
Hopefully, by taking these steps you will avoid coming home to a flood or fire damage but if you do, call SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090 to clean it up.
Summer rains cause basement flooding in Southeast, N.Y.
Even the best prepared Hudson Valley homeowner can experience basement flooding with heavy rain. SERVPRO of Putnam County will dry it out!
Putnam County has experienced unusually heavy rains this summer! Along with the rain has come several calls from homeowners with flooded basements. Even Brewster, NY homeowners who tell us they have always had a dry basement are experiencing water in their basement.
The source of the rainwater can come from many different sources including:
- Water leaks in from the outside through a basement window
- Sump pump failure, which can cause water overflows from your sump pump crock
- Water seepage from cracks in your concrete floor or foundation
- A sewer system back up into your basement
We have discussed in previous blogs the ways to protect your basement form flooding, including properly grading your lawn away from your home. Yet, floods can happen to even those who have followed all of the rules.
If your Mahopac, NY basement is flooded from rainwater or a sewage leak, call SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090. We are available 24/7 and ready to respond to your water damage emergency.
Does your homeowner's insurance policy cover mold in Putnam County?
Review your homeowner's insurance policy to see if it covers mold damage in your Cold Spring, NY home.
We inspect homes in the Hudson Valley for mold several times a week. Not all require professional remediation and we are able to give the homeowners the good news. There are homes, however, that do need our expertise and equipment. When choosing homeowner's insurance, most people don't review whether their policy covers mold remediation. Homeowners without mold coverage on their insurance policy know the work has to be done in order to protect their home and health of their family and are in the position of having to pay for the work out of pocket.
Find out in advance if your policy covers mold. Don't wait until you have a household mold problem to find out. Mold coverage varies from policy to policy and company to company so we recommend reading your policy carefully. Call your insurance agent if the language of the policy is confusing and you are unsure. Some policies contain clauses that exclude mold. Some will cover mold removal only under certain circumstances. In most cases, you can have mold coverage added to your policy for a minimal premium increase. It's a smart preventative measure that can save you thousands in the future.
IF you have suspect that you have mold in your home, contact SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090 for an inspection by our IICRC certified mold technicians.
Smoke and soot remediation after a house fire in Brewster, NY
We are the experts at removing smoke and soot damageafter house fires in the Mahopac, NY area
Even a small house fire can spread smoke and soot throughout your home. Smoke and soot have a tricky way of finding every nook and cranny of your home and even penetrating the cavities behind the walls of a home. This can cause damage and odors that aren't visual apparent.
The smoke damage experts at SERVPRO of Putnam County have the training and experience to accurately assess the extent of the damage and develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Did you know that:
- Hot smoke flows to cool areas and the upstairs of the house.
- Smoke also has the ability to flow into the walls via the plumbing system and spread through the house that way.
- Different types of smoke warrant different plans of action
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Putnam County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 845-228-1090
Barbecue Safety in Putnam County, NY
Don't let your summer barbecue turn into a trip to the emergency room or a call to the fire department! Follow these safety tips to keep it safe.
It's grilling season and we have enjoyed taking the cooking outside. Unfortunately, over 7,000 Americans get injured while using their backyard grill each summer. If you plan to fire up the bbq at your Lake Carmel home this summer, follow these tips to keep it safe.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your house, including areas with overhangs.
- Clean your grill regularly. Grease is a major source of flare ups so clean your grill after each use.
- Check for gas leaks. You can make sure no gas is leaking from your gas grill by making a solution of half liquid dish soap and half water and rubbing it on the hoses and connections. Then, turn the gas on (with the grill lid open.) If the soap forms large bubbles, that's a sign that the hoses have tiny holes or that the connections are not tight enough.
- Keep decorations away from your grill. Keep patio furniture, pillows and hanging baskets away from your grill, as they are highly combustible.
- Keep a spray bottle of water handy.That way, if you have a minor flare-up you can spray it with the water to instantly calm it.
- Keep a fire extinguisher within a couple steps of your grill. Make sure that you know how to use it!
- Turn on the gas while your grill lid is closed. This can cause the gas to build up and explode when the lid is opened.
- Leave a grill unattended. No, this isn't the time to go prep the corn on the cob.
- Overload your grill with food. In particular, fatty meats which can drip onto the flames and feed them, causing the fire to get out of control.
- Use a grill indoors. No size grill is safe indoors. Between the fire hazard and CO2, it's dangerous to your home and your health.
What can be saved? Restoring your belongings after Putnam County water damage.
At SERVPRO of Putnam County, we try to save as many of your belongings as possible after water damage.
When being called to a Hudson Valley home that has experienced water damage, we not only address the structural issues. We also determine what belongings in the home can be restored and which are not salvageable. We go through the home and inspect each item individually. Although each case is unique, there are some factors we consider in making our decision.
Type of Water Damage: If the water damage is from a sewage overflow or flood, the water is likely contaminated and it is less likely to be saved.
Type of material: Items that are made of porous material such as pillows, books, upholstered furniture and wood absorb more water and are often damaged beyond repair. There is also concern for mold growth on wet porous items. Plastics, metal and stone items are non-porous and are more likely to be restored.
Length of Time: How long your belongings were wet is another factor we look at in water damage restoration. The longer an item was wet, the more damage it will have suffered. If your grandmother's china closet was dried off immediately after a pipe burst in the ceiling above, the water would not have time to penetrate the wood throughout and we can most likely salvage the item.
At SERVPRO of Putnam County we understand that your possessions hold emotional value. We carefully decide what can and cannot be saved. Give us a call at (845) 228-1090 if your home has water damage.
Post construction clean up in Putnam County
SERVPRO of Putnam County cleans up dust, dirt and other construction debris in the Carmel, NY area!
You dreamed of adding an addition or finishing the basement to your Putnam County home and it is finally complete! What you are left with, however, is not always what you imagined. Dirt and dust from home construction can make its way onto every surface of your home and into all of the nooks and crannies.
SERVPRO of Putnam County can clean up your post construction mess. Schedule an appointment with us to:
- Clean floors and walls
- Dust ceilings, light fixtures and ceiling fans
- Clean trim, baseboards, window frames, and doorframes
- Dust handrails, molding, mantels, and other woodwork
- Clean stonework on fireplaces or floors
- Deep clean carpeting and upholstered furniture
- Clean windows and doors
- Clean light fixtures and bulbs as well as electrical outlets
- Clean inside closets, inside cabinets, and on top of shelves
- Clean blinds/shutters
- Remove and dispose of all trash
If your Brewster, NY area home has the post-construction blues, give SERVPRO of Putnam County a call at (845) 228-1090 to make it shine!
Don't let attic mold go undetected in your Lake Carmel, NY home
Leaking roofs, poor ventilation and ice dams can all cause attic mold. Call SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090 if you find mold in your attic!
The attic is a common place that mold is found in residential homes. It's easy for attic mold to grow and spread unnoticed since most homeowners rarely go up there. After a winter of snow and ice, it's a good time to check your Mahopac area attic for any water damage or mold.
Attic mold can be caused by several factors. Even a small leak in the roof of your Putnam County home can cause enough moisture for mold growth. Ice dams, in which ice makes its way under the shingles and causes damage when it melts, is also a source of water in the attic. Improper ventilation can also cause mold. There can be a shortage of vents or sometimes they are not properly functioning. A bathroom, kitchen or dryer vent that is routed to the attic can also interfere with with the air circulation in the attic and create conditions for mold growth.
It can be difficult for the average homeowner to determine if the black mold they spot in their attic needs professional remediation. Not every case of mold does. Our team has over twenty years of experience working with mold and is IICRC certified for mold. Give us a call at (845) 228-1090 to schedule an inspection. We will come out and give you our honest opinion as to whether remediation is required.
Commercial Water Damage to Businesses in Southeast, NY
Tree roots can damage a sewage line, causing it to back up into your Hudson Valley business and cause flooding.
Businesses in Putnam County cannot afford to stay closed due to water damage. Every day that your doors are closed is lost revenue. Water damage can be caused by a myriad of reasons. Weather related water damage from storms, burst pipes and flooding is the first thing that may come to mind however there are other causes of water damage to commercial buildings that SERVPRO of Putnam County responds to.
Plumbing: Broken pipes that leak water- whether it be a trickle or a major release – cause water damage to businesses in the Brewster area.
Malfunctioning appliances and equipment: Refrigerator supply line leaks and other mechanical failures in commercial kitchens are a common call we get. If the leak occurs while the restaurant is closed, there can be substantial damage before it is discovered.
Outdated Sprinkler systems: If the sprinkler system in your building is older, it can malfunction and be set off when not needed, causing water damage. Have your sprinkler system checked yearly to prevent this.
Sewage Line Damage: A damaged sewer line can cause a back up- leaving your business flooded with black water, which is a biohazard that causes significant damage. Tree roots can cause damage to your sewer line. If your Lake Carmel business is in an older building, the lines could also collapse due to age. And of course, clogs are a common reason for sewage line back ups.
Don't let water damage close your doors for long. Call SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090 if you have a broken pipe that has caused leaking through your ceiling or your restaurants ice maker has leaked. We come out, work fast and do the job right to get you back in business!
How to remove carpet stains in your Hudson Valley home
Living in a full house means carpet stains are inevitable. Call SERVPRO of Putnam County if these tips don't remove your stains.
In a well lived in New York home, carpet stains are unavoidable. Whether your dog runs through the house with muddy paws from all of the spring rain or your child spills a drink and forgets to tell you, wall to wall carpeting can sure take a beating.
While some carpet stains require a call to SERVPRO of Putnam County for a deep cleaning and stain removal, there are some tricks that you can try at home to remove small isolated stains.
We recommend that you resist the urge to scrub hard at stains and instead, gently blot the spot, work from the outside in, rinse with water and repeat. With all stain removal methods, first test in an inconspicuous area to make certain it wont further damage your carpet.
Stains that are water soluble such as food, juice, latex paint and soda can be removed with a simple solution of non bleach detergent and water.
Use a tablespoon of ammonia mixed with a cup of water to treat particularly difficult stains such as chocolate, coffee, tea and wine on non-wool carpeting.
In order to remove oil or wax, place a paper towel on the carpet and iron it on a low setting. The oil will stick the towel!
Use ice to freeze wax or gum and then use a hammer to shatter it. Vacuum the pieces up immediately.
Pet urine can be removed with a 1:1 solution of water and vinegar. After blotting that solution up, follow up with a gentle detergent and water solution and rinse.
We all want to get as much life out of our carpeting as possible. Don't let small stains get you down! If you have carpeting that needs a thorough cleaning and has significant staining, call SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090.