Protect your Patterson home from water damage while you are on summer vacation.
Summer is here and many Hudson Valley families will be going on vacation soon. Take the following steps to make sure that your return home doesn't result in a call to us!
Make arrangements for someone to watch your house
- Ask a neighbor or friend to be an emergency contact.
- Leave written directions for alarm codes and any other information needed to care for your home care for your home.
- To protect from intruders, a timer can be set on the lights to give the impression that someone is home. Either putting your mail on hold or having someone collect it also helps.
- Do a walk through your house to make sure all windows are securely closed and locked.
Protect against water and fire damage
- Shut off your gas on appliances and the supply tank
- Turn off the water valves to toilets, washing machines, sinks, and the dishwasher.
- Unplug electronics to avoid a short that can start a fire
- Test your smoke detectors
- Keep your thermostat at a moderate temperature
Clean up before you leave
- Dispose of your garbage prior to leaving on vacation. It can attract pests and create a foul odor in your home.
- Clean out your refrigerator of perishables
- Double check that all toilets are properly flushed.
Hopefully, by taking these steps you will avoid coming home to a flood or fire damage but if you do, call SERVPRO of Putnam County at (845) 228-1090 to clean it up.