Fire Prevention Month - Every Second Counts, Plan 2 Ways Out
Created to educate the public on fire safety, fire prevention month is observed during October to commemorate the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The tragedy killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, destroyed more than 17,400 structures and burned more than 2,000 acres. This month, SERVPRO of Putnam County will be sharing information on fire safety.
This year, the theme for National Fire Prevention Month is "Every Second Counts, Plan 2 Ways Out".
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
If you experience a fire in the Brewster, NY area, SERVPRO of Putnam County is ready to help you make it “Like it never even happened.”
#SERVPRO #LikeItNeverEvenHappened #HereToHelp #ReBuildingStories #FirePreventionMonth